• HofH-Help-Wanted-Banner
  • HofH-Help-Wanted-Banner1-5
  • HofH-Help-Wanted-Banner2
  • HofH-Help-Wanted-Banner3
  • HofH-Help-Wanted-Banner4
  • HofH-Help-Wanted-Banner5
  • HofH-Help-Wanted-Banner6
  • HofH-Help-Wanted-Banner7

Officer fires shots during high-speed pursuit

A Piedmont police officer fired shots during a high-speed chase Saturday and now police are searching for the suspect after he escaped from an area hospital.

An officer pulled over Kevin McCage, 37, at 6:49 p.m. on Jan. 28 because of a broken headlight on McCage’s truck. During the traffic stop near the 800 block of North County Line Road, McCage provided the officers with faulty information about his identity which prompted the officer to ask McCage to exit his vehicle. McCage refused to do so and after the officer attempted to remove him by force he sped away.

Two officers began to pursue McCage and the chase proceeded to travel westbound on Edmond Road before officers lost sight of McCage’s vehicle. However, a few minutes after the chase ended the suspect was spotted again and police continued the pursuit, which traveled into Kingfisher County.

According to Police Chief Tom Linn, three Piedmont officers were involved in the pursuit into Kingfisher County. According to a source familiar with the situation, a fourth officer was called onto duty to provide coverage for the city.

During the chase McCage led officers onto a back county road in Kingfisher County and onto a dead-end service road. One of the officers attempted to block McCage’s only exit from the dead-end street but when McCage attempted to break through the barricade the officer fired three shots, according to Linn.

“The suspect attempted to run over our officer,” Linn said. “So the officer fired at him.”

The suspect was not hit by any of the shots and the chase continued for a few more miles before McCage lost control of his truck and crashed into a deserted field. McCage was airlifted to an area hospital with serious injuries but later walked out of the hospital and police are now attempting to track him down.

Linn said the officer who fired his gun has been placed on administrative leave, which is normal practice following the discharge of a weapon. Officers with the Oklahoma Highway Patrol and Oklahoma Special Bureau of Investigation have been assisting with the investigation this week.

© 2012-2017 piedmontnewsonline.com All Rights Reserved