Mayor sets record straight, dismisses Internet rumors

Mayor Valerie Thomerson

By Matt Montgomery
editor@piedmontnewsonline.com

In a prepared statement to Piedmont-Surrey Gazette Associate Publisher Randy Anderson, Piedmont Mayor Valerie Thomerson dismissed Internet falsehoods indicating she would be an Oklahoma State Senate candidate.

“District 22 Senator Rob Johnson has been a good friend to the City of Piedmont and his leadership will be missed in the Oklahoma Senate. Since having heard that Senator Johnson will be vacating his seat, I was approached by several individuals and asked to consider running for the office of State Senator.

When I was campaigning for the office of Mayor for the City of Piedmont, I stated then, that I had no political ambitions beyond Piedmont. That statement still holds true today. My only goal was to serve my community and you graciously allowed that when you elected me as your Mayor.

Although I am extremely flattered to have been asked to even consider running for such a prestigious office, this statement is necessary to correct any erroneous reports that were derived from unsubstantiated speculation and without any confirmation from me.

My focus is on Piedmont and that will not change during my term as Mayor.

Being Mayor has at times been a challenge, however it has always been a privilege and one I do not take lightly.”

1. john says:

I’m wondering why the Gazette did not seek comment from the Republican chairman of Canadian county Robert Hubbard as he was quoted in the other local paper that the mayor contacted him about the open race for the open state senate seat for next years election. Discrepancies in the story.

2. ant says:

What discrepancies?? Mr. Hubbard may be the chairman, and even if she inquired of him about the seat it does not change the facts of her statement. If she was approached by anybody to run and she asked a question to Mr. Hubbard (may or may not have) does not mean anything. sometimes questions get asked just to confirm decisions that have alredy been made.

3. john says:

Ant, you need to read the story in the Piedmont Citizen again, Hubbard was quoted that the Mayor reached out to Hubbard about a possible run for the open seat. The Citizen reached out to the mayor to obtain comments. She never returned the call. Discrepancy in the storyline. Again I don’t really care but the inconsistency from our Mayor is yet apparent.

• Concerned says:

John, you’re assuming the Citizen reported things correctly. They’ve never been known for unbiased factual reporting. The Citizen isn’t really a newspaper. It’s more of a gossip rag.

4. john says:

Oh Concerned, you must be nipping in the spiked eggnog again. 🙂

• Concerned says:

Nope, just stating a fact John. That’s why the Citizen has to give their papers away for free. No one would actually pay to read that garbage. Except for you and Vernon. Cheers!

5. john says:

Your entitled to your opinion but you are definitely in the minority.

6. ant says:

don’t care about whose paper is better. it is obvious how quick john and vernon like to call someone a liar or run their name down. Not liking or agreeing with someone does not make them a liar. rumors are bad things

7. john says:

Ant, you would have to identify yourself for some one to run your name down. Since you and concerned hide behind an alias and are already on record bad mouthing people all throughout your postings, all I can say I will pray for you. Have a good day.

• ant says:

i may bad mouth situations and vernon (only because venon is so hatefull) but i do not attack people as the mayor has been attacked.

8. john says:

Why don’t you take ownership of your less than gentleman like comments. Let Mr Woods take ownership of his actions and statements. I might not agree with every thing Mr Woods has said or commented on but I will give him credit he doesn’t hide or run from his statements unlike the very person who still hides such as you. You bring very little if any credibility to your rants. Again I will keep you on my prayers.

9. Concerned says:

The problem is Mr. Woods never takes ownership of his misguided and crack-pot comments. But then again the voters recalled him and booted his snarky personality from office. I think everyone in Piedmont is fed up the guy and his ilk. I’m thinking the guys over at the Whiskey Pub could make up and name a new drink after him, Vernon & Venom. Half everclear and half bitters.

10. john says:

Yet again this news story is about our current Mayor not about anybody else. I’m wondering why Concerned and Ant answer for each other all the time and change the subject. Could this be that Ant and Concerned are one in the same person with two alter egos again hiding with different Alias. Taking ownership Concerned of your comments why you and Ant duck for cover? LOL

Perhaps if Mr. Felder desires to “break” a story, he would be better off actually talking the subject of the breaking news before printing it. Then again as a minority owner he probably has a duty to please the other majority owner(s) who may or may not have an axe to grind with the current mayor.

12. Ant says:

Carefull JT John will have to pay for you. As a Christian i welcome all prayer, but typically in a debate someone who does not have anything to offer will try and put themselves on a pedistal by pulling the prayor card.

13. john says:

Ant, Yes I will continue to pray for you. Again if you want to debate why hide? Yet again you lose and have lost the debate before you got started. My conclusions are that you have something to hide and you are afraid that any credibility you may or may not have in this community better serves you to stay in the shadows. I’m sure you feel embolden and important to say tings without affixing your own name to your more hurtful comments than if you had to sign your name to them. Again maybe some self analysis of yours will do you good. 🙂

14. john says:

In my opinion It would serve the community, the readers and the viability of this newspaper for the better to change their policy and require all who post to affix their real names to each story. I believe this will better serve the community as whole instead of certain people’s hidden agendas and hurtful comments. Just a thought.

Waah waah waahhhhh! John doesn’t like that some people use their real name to post comments on a newspaper website. Use the Internet much?

I still have yet to figure out how the facts and content of someone’s comments are affected at all by the name that is used with said comments.

People are more apt to speak out and tell the truth if they don’t have to fear reprisals. Only people who cannot carry the argument would wish to shut others up.

16. john says:

If were debating that’s fine but why hide if you truly want to debate Ant? Yet again you lose.

17. Concerned says:

I won’t use my real name cause we got some dangerous nut cases in this community. If they find out who you are they’ll stalk you and sit out in front of your house and try to intimidate you. It’s not safe.

I’m pretty sure that one of the people that engaged in that behavior was named the “Citizen of the Year” by a newspaper in Piedmont!

19. john says:

Now we all know why you all hide behind fake names. You guys and your pathetic comments rather repeat lies and run down a deceased woman than be men and be respectful. If you remember the former councilmen stated at the next council meeting after that story broke that he stated that they were not stalking or being disrespectful as it was all a big misunderstanding . Now What did you say JT in a previous post to me?,” use the internet much” as a slam to me and making fun of my public education as you said more people are more apt to speak the truth without fear of reprisal. 🙁 and to why people are anonymous and not disclosing their true identity.. Makes me wonder what internet sites you troll on as you have too much time on your hands . Maybe your mommy needs to put in place parental controls and block sites you frequently visit. JT and Concerned you two wouldn’t know the truth if it slapped you in the face.

20. Concerned says:

John, lots of people saw how you chest bumped Phil in the city council meeting. Then there is Ron whose face turns beet red and he paces up and down the hallways in city council meetings when his side isn’t getting their way. And Vernon, a powder keg waiting for someone to light the fuse. And how about what you guys did to Bill the Barber? With all these stories across the nation about people with quick tempers goin’ off the deep end, lots of people have reason to be fearful of you guys. And now you’re wanting to slap us in the face? Pathetic.

21. john says:

Im laughing at you not with you. LOL